You are invited to join our weekly body-awareness practices that include Chinese medicine principles, taichi-qigong and meditation. Classes are held on Monday evenings, from 5pm-6:30pm in Cranbrook.
Channels of Life: Jan 8-Feb 26, 2024
Embodying the 12 meridians from Chinese medicine using study, reflection, meditation and taichi-qigong.
In this practical, fun course, we will study the body-mind through the lens of Chinese Medicine’s 12 meridians. Divided into three families of life principles, each set of four channels gives us insight into how we can have fuller embodiment in our own lives, and greater freedom amidst life’s inevitable struggles.
We will study two ‘paired’ meridians each week – content is based on Shiatsu practitioner Mike Mandl’s excellent book, Meridians: Maps of the Soul. The book is recommended as a companion and pre-study will also be uploaded to a virtual online platform each week.
During each class we will review the material and deeper embody it through discussion, reflection, meditation and taichi-qigong exercises.
What we will cover each week:
- Week One: Meridian Life Principles & Maslow’s Hierarchy of Needs
- Week Two: Lung & Large Intestine channels (Basic Needs)
- Week Three: Stomach & Spleen channels (Basic Needs)
- Week Four: Heart & Small Intestine (Individuation)
- Week Five: Bladder & Kidneys (Individuation)
- Week Six: Pericardium & Triple Heater (Self-Actualization)
- Week Seven: Liver & Gallblader (Self-Actualization)
- Week Eight: Review & Integration
Why these classes?
By experiencing the body, breath, posture and sensations as they are, we can come to listen to our body-mind experience more closely. This allows us to let go of what no longer serves and to nurture the positive in our lives. It helps us re-inhabit the natural flow of awareness and vitality innate in us.
Some of what we will practice:
- Learn and practice eighteen simple taichi-qigong movements. These ‘Taichi Qigong Shibashi’ movements were developed for health, by Professor Lin Housheng at the Shanghai Qigong Institute.
- Breathing easy? Learn about and practice optimal breathing anatomy and posture.
- How do I meditate? Learn breathing meditation, in four postures from the centuries old (ie. tried and true) Buddhist meditation tradition.
- Learn exercises to coming home to your body. If we can rest peacefully in the experience of our body, as it is, we can understand and release armouring, tension and patterns of anxiety or depression.
About the Teacher:
Join Cara Conroy-Lau (R.Ac) – meditation teacher and acu-moxa therapist for a fun and inquisitive exploration into healing. Cara is the owner of Cranbrook Acupuncture Clinic, and an Associate Teacher at Clear Sky Meditation and Study Foundation. She has been practicing meditation, chinese medicine and healing work, alongside her own spiritual journey since 2005 with her Dharma Teachers Qapel & Catherine Sensei. Her qigong training is in the lineage of Professor Lin Housheng, under Fabrice Piche.
Location: Stage Door Studio – 11 11 Ave S, Cranbrook, BC V1C 2N9. Classes are on the lower floor – the entry is at the front of the building.
Fees: Pay by the heart
“Pay by the Heart” is a generosity based model of exchange. It means that you are invited to give what you decide is the value of these classes. What value do you place upon your personal growth and well-being? Your generosity helps make these classes available to all categories of income, while ensuring your course instructor is supported and appreciated. Take a moment to reflect and follow your heart. What amount would feel generous to you?
Channels of Life ONLINE:
Study at your own paceThere will also be an online version of this course available for those who cannot attend the in-person version. Video content will be released each week for 12 weeks on a members only online platform. There will be exercises given each week to do at home, and a discussion forum. It’s a great complement to our acupuncture sessions and you will learn a lot about your own body-mind.
Meditation Circle: Thursday Nights
Do you want to strengthen your meditation and mindfulness practice? Clear Sky Centre offers supportive meditation classes on Thursday nights. Learn fundamentals of meditation, modern Buddhist philosophy and more. Classes are open to all levels of experience.
Join online, or in person at Clear Sky from 7pm-8pm. Recordings are also available.
Clear Sky Meditation Centre is located in Bull River, BC, 30 minutes drive from Cranbrook.
Classes are given on a pay by the heart donation basis. Registration is necessary.
Questions? Please phone Cara at 250-421-8280.